Monday, May 08, 2006

what do you do when the words aren't there?

My best friend's dog died, after being unwell for some time.

I don't really know what to say about it.

It's hard to watch your pet deteriorate from old age or illness.

Budgie Ricky went the same way. I felt so helpless as he slowly got worse.

I did everything I could think of. I gave him fresh water every morning and night. Gave him some extra vitamin-supplemented seeds. Fetched some fresh seedgrasses for him to cleanse his system. Kept the cage cleaned, and took away the paper lining in case it was making him sick. He got regular exercise.

I looked up budgie-health books and nothing matched what was happening to him.

He moved around slowly. Let Nattie groom him and take care of him.

Eventually it got to the point where he didn't want to move from his perch, and he was fluffed up in a ball.

I stayed with him for an hour before bed, petting him, talking to him, and I rearranged him comfortably so he could lean on the ladder as he slept.

He died before I woke up in the morning.

I was sad, but mostly relieved for him.

Is it bad that I didn't feel worse? That, in the end, I didn't have a lot of feelings about it besides relief?

This is why I don't know what to say.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kazzens o(^O^)o said...

hey...
I can relate with you my dear..
They're gone... but yet you are relieved.. a mass of conflicted feelings~

Oh well.. I guess Ricky & Bill are off in a nicer place.. and probably being the best of friends~!

4:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home