Tuesday, May 16, 2006

going through phases like a transdimensional parrot

An email today made me think about the various phases I've gone through in my life, on my journey to becoming a real person.

1. Pre-kinder: Mud-child & frog-catcher.
Had a puppy's love for dirt. And once I discovered that our backyard stepping stones were a perfect disc-y cake-shape, this slowly evolved into a penchant for "baking" mud-pies.
Digging around in the dirt also meant that I would encounter a small froglet or two, which I would then dutifully keep in an old ice-cream bucket with water & mud for a day before setting it free.

2. Kindergarten: Climber of Trees.
And Destroyer of Dresses. Although clothes these days may be slightly hardier than the ridiculous concoctions I was made to wear.
If you've never had to go out in public wearing a maroon velvet dress with cotton-laced frilling accompanied by stark-white wool stockings and little black t-bar shoes (and a bowl-haircut on top of all THAT), count yourself supremely lucky.

3. Primary school: Slacker Brain & Penguin-freak.
Apparently bright, but lazy as all hell, unless it was something to do with art or penguins.
My teachers would read my test scores and cry.
Or tell me off and threaten detention. Which we didn't even have in primary, as I recall.
Played rounders and lacrosse for the school team. Whatever happened to lacrosse?

4. High school: Flake, Jock, & Reader of Pratchett.
Became highly scatty, possibly due to amount of sugar in system, or some delayed reaction to food colouring eaten in primary school. Went on quests for band-aids when a friend cut her finger. Preferred playing Mr Scribble rather than drawing sine curves.
Discovered the Discworld of Terry Pratchett, as well as classic shows like GNW and Red Dwarf. (I owe so much of my current weirdness to Cheli, the ex-Venturer and Scout. Camberwell Showtime, YEAHHH!)
Also got pulled into school baseball, hockey and athletics teams, despite being an unco wonder-klutz. But I was real good with a stick ^-^

5. Uni: Anime-watcher (The Not-Quite-Otaku).
Being a Multimedia student meant a lot of "independent study" time.
Which was mostly spent either at the caf, in Readings, in Coles (go figure.. my friends and I went food-shopping in between lectures.. haha.. I remember Nic bringing strawberries & chocolate fondue to one lecture.. mm, that was good..) or watching anime in the club room.
Discovered a nice little anime boutique at Box Hill Central, and from then on, started building my own library.

6. Working Life: Serial Cookie-baker & Game-addict.
Mum brought home a cookie recipe from one of her workmates, and things have never been the same since. Snackage is, I feel, a rather important element of life, and so it is now my duty to keep the family cookie-jar well-stocked.
Dad attempted to make cookies last week, for Mother's Day. Tasted lovely, but had all the texture of dwarf bread. Which, for the unPratchettised, means freaking rock hard. (Beware, beware, all ye with teeth, for they will shatter and crumble to the gummies beneath.)
I soaked a cookie in a glass of milk, and it resolutely stayed rock-like despite my leaving it there for ten minutes. Bloody amazing.

Am still suffering DQ withdrawal due to mother hogging lounge room tv. (Would you believe she still hasn't finished the stack of dvds she brought back from Hong Kong.)
There's just no use playing PS2 on the other tv, which has an itty bitty screen with the ability to cause squinting in gnomes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home